Thursday, December 15, 2011

Wanderlust

The last few days.  I've been working on a screen print as a Christmas gift to inspire wanderlust.  Well, I should say we, because screen printing is really a two person thing and Joe did a  lot of the work.  This was the first time either of us have ever screen printed but I'm quite happy with the finished product.  I'm not giving up on block printing though.  I like how instant it is, that you don't have to wait in between any of the steps, that you just keep going.  Screen printing, however, has a lot of waiting, a lot of water and a lot of mess.  For all of that though, you get a very precise and detailed finished product.
Here are some photos of the process, but not nearly all of it.  The next time we work on a print I'll try to photograph it from start to finish.  This print used two screens but we only have one so we had to wash it out after the first layer to make the second.  We actually messed up both screens once (trying to get the exposure time right) so all in all we had to expose four screens.





The graphic is about 10x12 but is on larger paper because I like a lot of white border.  I figured that this way I can cut it down to fit and have more frame options.  This is one of six, so, if you really want one let me know.  Also, I know what I want for my next block print but I'm having a hard time drawing it.  I'll bake for you if you help me draw.  Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share on Tumblr